Saturday, June 23, 2012

Bountiful Basket Plan

I picked up my first Bountiful Basket today and am trying to make sure I use the fruit and veggies in a way that makes sense, so I'm doing resarch to find the right storage techniques. I must admit, my kids usually eat fruit so fast that I don't have time to think about what to do with it, but I don't usually have such a sudden influx of a pile like this. For $15, here's what I got and after the jump, how I plan to use them!


1 Celery and 2 Romaine: perk up in ice water. Celery will get chopped up and frozen. 1 Romaine will get washed and chopped for a couple days of salad, then the other will get chopped. I'm seriously considering buying some mason jars for Jar Salads, because I always did love those McSalad Shakers!

Mangoes: freeze according to This Blog, then feed to kids when all other fruit is gone.

8 Bananas: Wait a day and then feed to kids. They might last 2 days.

Cherries: Remove pits according to This and then refrigerate and feed to kids

6 nectarines and Blueberries: Cobbler! I've never made cobbler before!

3 Big Tomatoes: chop for salad, fridge

1 Cantaloupe: Store in fridge until other fruit is gone. Already have a watermelon to finish too. oops.

5 lbs of potatoes: They are baking size and I already have some small reds in the pantry, so I guess we're going to have a potato heavy menu this week. Menu? Oh, right. Need to meal plan!  Pinterest showed me a way to bake eggs in potato 'shells' to make "Iowa Sunrise." 

3 onions: I already have a bunch of shallots to use up, so I will chop and freeze these in half-onion frozen portions.


Next up, once these are off my counter, MEAL PLAN!

Let me know what you think of my plan to store and use this Bountiful Basket! Feedback is welcome!!  I might get the guts to freeze some of the potatoes according to how the nice people on the BB Facebook page told me.

1 comment:

Her Royal Highness said...

Oh I miss Bountiful baskets!!!Good job researching what to do with all of that. I usually wrap my celery in tin foil - it keeps for quite a while that way. And mason jars are a MUST when storing lettuce. My mini salads keep for so much longer when I do that.
Enjoy your bounty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails